Name:
Location: grayson, ga, United States

Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Things I LOVE

Brad and I went to Panama City Beach this weekend with the lovely Jo Ann Waldrop. Since we had not journeyed outside of the Greater Atlanta city area since over a year ago (except to visit my parents at Christmas, which, believe me, does not count), we eagerly sprang from bed Friday morning (or as eagerly and as close to morning as we could--read previous blog) , pointed our car in a southernly direction, and tore away from our little world. This journey provided me with both rest and prime thinking time-- a six-hour car ride. The prime thinking time led me to my current topic-- Things I LOVE

1. Semi-long car trips with Brad
I love semi-long car trips with Brad because we have the best conversations in the car. We laugh, cut up, talk about philosophy and the nature of good and evil, discuss books, and plan our future. There is something about a car trip that creates terrific conversation, and there is nothing I enjoy more than terrific conversation with Brad. Oh, and we HATE books on tape. We tried that once. We ended up fast forwarding through most of the book-- I have never felt so incredibly cranky.

2. Convenience stores
Not only do I love convenience store names (we saw some great ones on the way down--Hop in!, the Dodge, Money Back, The Golden Gallon, The Big Small Store, Kangaroo), I also love the people and paraphernelia (this is really spelled right; I looked it up) in convenience stores. Have you ever looked at the "impulse buy" rack at a convenience store? Have you ever bought anything? I think the "impulse buy" rack markets to giggly teenage girls, perverted truckers, and me. I am a sucker for felt roses that smell vaguely of pine. And don't get me started on ginseng products and lighters. I also love canned ham (I have a collection thanks to the many Valentine's Days I have spent with Brad Denton. Who needs flowers? Canned ham lasts longer), beef jerky, pork rinds (do people outside of Atkins dieters and travelers buy these?), and the odd cigarette, hand-soap, air freshener smell all convenience stores have.

3. Parenthesis
I have forbade my eighth graders to use parenthesis because, quite frankly, they can't handle more sophisticated methods of punctuation, but as my above posting conveys-- I LOVE THEM!! I also love the dash, the hyphen, and the semicolon. Sometimes I invent reasons to use them. To me punctuation is not just utilitarian--it is fun! (Notice the use of the exclamation point. Didn't it give you joy?)


4. Bubble baths, showers, face soap, facial masks-- anything to do with being clean

I entered college in the midst of the grunge period. This was a sad, sad period in our nation's illustrious history where it became cool to be dirty. During this period of time, girls and boys alike tried to see how long they could go without bathing or washing their clothes. Unfortunately, this trend prevented me from achieving optimal coolness. Sadly, I can go no more than a day without washing my hair or my body, and I prefer bathing more than once a day. Even more sadly, the cleaner my body is the better I can think and the more content I am. I have found ways to do everything while cleansing myself: I can read and take a bubble bath; I can plan a paper and take a shower; I can cook while waiting for a facial mask to set; I can dress myself while brushing my teeth. My life, quite simply, is better when I am in the midst of cleansing my body, face, or hair.

5. Magazines
My magazine subscription total alone can meet a GACS student's magazine sale week goal. Ashley Wilde came in first place in her magazine sale group when she turned in my subscriptions alone. A good magazine, a cup of coffee, a bubble bath, and a facial mask--one word, heaven.

6. Keds
Need I say more? Was there a more perfect shoe ever made? Birkenstocks, Doc Martens, Timberlands, blech! Give me a simple canvas tie-up shoe. People Magazine said they were going to be back in style soon. Cleanliness and feathered hair came back; can't Keds? They really are great shoes.

7. Anne Tyler novels
Read one (not Slipping Down Life, it's a little weird) NOW!! Try it in the bath tub. You won't be sorry. I promise.

That is enough for now. I figure I will have to write the "Things I HATE" companion piece soon.

Oh, I almost forgot (because it is a given). . .

8. Sleeping in on Saturdays (or really any day) with my husband (hey, it's allowed; we're married--or at least I think we are. Did we sign that license?)
Nuff' said.





5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, but have you put your foot in a Ked and squished your toes up and down? It is blissful. I have not tried Converse (they were too expesive for my mother to buy when they were cool when I was a teen). Maybe I will squish my toes around in them at the Shoe Carnival. Do they have them at the Shoe Carnival? I refuse to enter a mall.

8:50 PM  
Blogger Matt Elliott said...

As I mentioned to your husband yesterday, I think it's high time you quit trying to make us all visualize you in a bubble bath. Tart!

10:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm right there with you on numbers 2,4,5 and 8! For number 1 I would have to insert the name TJ and then it's all good ;) We've had the chance to take several semi-long road trips together and we've always had a blast. By the way, you and Brad REALLY need to update your blogs more often. Such clever and entertaining writing!

8:16 AM  
Blogger heather byars said...

my friend, kristi and i have a favorite truck stop - the iron skillet! this is going to sound ourtrageous, but they have the best chicken parmesan. really and truly they do. every time we see one, we go in, we eat, and we order one to go to eat on the road.

as for the bubble bath, i cannot lie around in my own germs. that is all i can think about in a bath. we have lived in two houses with fabulous tubs, and never have they been used. sorry!

i will agree on keds, though i do not currently own a pair. they really are comfortable, but, i also love born's. those are a comfortable shoe and worth every penny.

3:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never pass up an opportunity to talk about QuikTrip, the ultimate convenience store. It's like someone said, "what's WRONG with all the convenience stores? Let's fix all those things in one store!" Clean bathrooms, certified fountain quality drinks, employees that DO NOT look like they just got out of prison...it's all good. Hey, why don't you try a road trip with 3 children under 7 years old??? THAT will cure your romanticism with the road trip iteself.

8:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home